Tuesday, 18 August 2015

#BloggersBakeAlong: Biscuit Box Building

Hey Guys!

As the second #GBBO week swung around, we all saw the 'amateur' bakers *cough* Marie *cough* push their architectural skills with mighty biscuit builds. Weren't those fortune cookies, like, the best idea ever? Since I'm taking part in #BloggersBakeAlong I had a go at constructing my own masterpiece out of Gingerbread and Shortbread. I am on my holibobs this week, so say hello to another kitchen I've been baking in. This one is complete with scales and everything! Since I am in Scotland, it was an obvious choice to make Shortbread pieces. Yum!

I'm not gonna lie, I did use a recipe from the side of my Plain Flour packed for the Gingerbread. It was just in the most convenient at the time! Firstly, to make a Gingerbread batter I sifted 350g plain flour, 1 tbsp Ground Ginger, 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon and I am now thinking instead of the suggested 1 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda I'm pretty sure I actually used 1 tbsp. Whoopsie!


I rubbed in 125g of butter to make breadcrumbs then sprinkled in 175g of Light Brown Sugar. I mixed my wet ingredients in a spare bowl, which included 1 egg and 4 tbsp of Golden Sugar, and placed them into my breadcrumb-esque mixture once blended together. 

Then it's time to get your hands messy and make a dough out of the combined ingredients. I must admit it was a little wet so I happily added more plain flour to combat this. Wrap up the dough an place in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes, but I left it as long as it took to make the shortbread batter.


A super simple way to make is to mix 300g butter, 140g sugar, 300g plain flour and 140g rice flour. Then spread it into a greased tin and leave to chill for at least 30 minutes. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! 


I baked the Gingerbread for 20 minutes or so at 180 degrees in a  fan oven. As this was cooking (enough to make 5 parts for a box), I attacked the chilled shortbread with the prongs of a fork and also scored out where I planned to cut up the shortbread pieces. This baked for around 20 minutes again at the same temperature.



After cutting the Gingerbread slabs into dainty box walls, I used my creative little hands to pipe a decorative design onto my lid. I kept the icing sugar to water ratio really high so it was a thick, solid paste. It was like a beautiful sugary, sweet mortar to my gingery, bready bricks. Once I'd filled my Gingerbread box with my Shortbread pieces, I think I'd made something Paul and Mary would be very impressed with. HeHe (Along as they were NOT looking at my construction skills...)!



Whey-heeyyy!


Oodles and Toodles
Row Bow
x

6 comments:

  1. What a fantastic box! Well done :-) We do love gingerbread. #BloggersBakeAlong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks! I was pretty chuffed with myself!


      Row Bow
      x

      Delete
  2. wow that's an amazing achievement! well done you! Just watched the last GBBO and looking forward to next week. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! GBBO is probably my favourite series of the year, but I did love Sweets Made Simple too.

      Row Bow
      x

      Delete
  3. I do love watching GBBO but I'm most definitely not a baker myself (nor could my waistline afford for me to be!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to crack out a snazzy bake every now and again, but I dread to think what Mary and Paul would think sometimes! Thanks for commenting!


      Row Bow
      x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I love reading and replying to comments. Don't forget to check back later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...